CENOTAPH MARCH PAST – SUNDAY 12 NOVEMBER 2017
Following the very successful inaugural IX(B) Squadron Association march past of The Cenotaph in Whitehall on Sunday 13 Nov 16, we are urgently seeking Association members to join us again.
Here’s a run through of what will happen on 12 Nov 17:
We will meet at Horse Guards at about 0945. Don’t worry if you cannot walk too far if your “undercarriage” is getting a bit worn, as wheelchairs are on hand and we will provide “pushers”. We may also be able to arrange a free Taxi for you from anywhere inside the M25.
Following a trip to the loos, we will walk onto Whitehall at about 1020 hrs, dressed in jacket & tie, or whatever is comfortable.
We stay in this area watching events on a large screen for 30 mins or so, then come to attention for the 2 mins Silence.
The 5000 vets will then start marching past the Cenotaph in turn. We will hand a IX(B) Squadron Association Wreath to the wreath marshal, then turn right into Parliament Square, then right again into Horse Guards Road, where we will have a Royal salute. We go a little further then return to Horse Guards Parade for the dispersal. After dispersal, some go home, some go to local pubs and some go to Clubs for lunch.
Here’s a few comments from last year:
- What a very memorable day: meeting up with RAF colleagues; enjoying the banter and friendliness; marching in step and in line (more challenging than I remember!); glorious sunshine; applauding crowds; distinguished company; recalling the past with an emphasis on the achievements of past and current generations.
- What a truly magnificent day we had yesterday!
- What a privilege to join you all yesterday. A once in a lifetime moment, although it sounds like there is an appetite to make it a bit more often than that.
- It was an honour and privilege to be with IX Sqn Association for our inaugural participation in the Remembrance Sunday Cenotaph parade.
- So glad I decided to attend. It was a truly wonderful day to meet with fellow members and feel the warmth and friendliness that epitomises Armed Forces camaraderie. The sun shone and medals glittered making it a splendid day.
If you would like to join us on 12 Nov 17, we need your names ASAP.
Please contact Dicky James ASAP