|Item 1 – Committee Composition1. The Chair welcomed everybody to the meeting and gave a brief overview of who had taken on various roles within the Assn. He thanked those present who voluntarily agreed to attend the meeting and who would undoubtedly have close contact with the Assn in the forthcoming months. It was fortuitous that OCIX(Des) was in London on Force Development with RAF Lossiemouth and was able to attend the meeting to meet a portion of the new Association Committee.
Item 2 – Financial Situation
2. The Treasurer informed the meeting of the current financial situation. The Assn fund balance is currently £9385.85. Annual subs bring in approximately £4000. Major costs for the year were traditionally as follows:
a. Remembrance Sunday £300
b. TABS production £450
c. Stamps £500
3. The major outgoing for the year is the Annual Reunion costing in the region of £7500. After payment from attendees, the fund usually makes £1000, assuming a raffle and auction.
Item 3 – Centenary Reunion Event
4. The meeting was informed that the plans for the Centenary Reunion were well underway, the lead coming from the Sqn. A Service Fund Account has been set up to process payments but it was suggested that 1Gp be approached to seek money that can be allocated up front for centenary celebrations. However, a business case (BC) would be required to seek further funding support from HQ AIR as this was a Centenary Celebration; OC D Flt, IX(B) Sqn agreed to submit the BC.
5. The meeting was informed that that an important aspect of organising an event of this scale was to have one person who collates all the relevant data. In addition, a cut off date for replies, and particularly the prioritisation of hotel accommodation should be set at 6 weeks prior to the date of the reunion ([The] Hotel required any unallocated rooms to be returned for public sale by 23 June 15). It was acknowledged that a number of Assn members were airline pilots and would not be aware of their rotas until post this cut-off date. It was agreed that spaces at the Dinner would not be reserved but that any spare seats could be allocated up to a few weeks prior to the Dinner – a reserve list would be held by the Squadron.
6. After discussion, it was decided that the Sqn should take responsibility for both the organisation and communication plan whilst the Assn would take on a supporting role. The Sqn agreed to send a letter or e-mail to all Sqn and Assn members detailing current plans for the 23 July by the end of Feb 15. The details (excluding the name of the hotel venue) would also be posted on the Association website as soon as the letters were distributed. All agreed that up front payment was essential such that the Sqn would seek replies on:
a. Numbers of Daytime attendees, incl full names, DoB and vehicle details.
b. Lunch attendees – charge of £10 per head.
c. Dinner attendees – charge of £30 per head for Assn and Sqn personnel and their guests (see below). Non-members would be charged £45 per head.
d. Those requiring accommodation at [the Hotel venue] on 23 Jul, at £45 per head for B&B (max of 130 beds).
e. Those requiring B&B at [the Hotel venue] on 22 Jul, at £55 per head for B&B or £70 per head for dinner, bed and breakfast.
7. The meeting was informed that there were a number of good sponsorship opportunities to be had for the Centenary Reunion and that these should be approached. It is likely that there would need to be invitations sent to those who agree to help with the costs. The Chair offered to contact OC 10/101 Sqns to ascertain if any support was available from the ‘Beers for the Boys Charity’.
8. The Sqn agreed to send a formal request to HQ Music Services for a Band/String Quartet to provide music for the evening’s celebrations.
9. It was agreed that some risk would be accepted in publicising the cost of the Dinner as £30, based on the following assumptions:
a. Of the 240 places for dinner, it was assumed that the Sqn would plan on filling 120 and the Assn the remaining 120.
b. Subsidy of at least £10 per person would be made by the Assn (£1200 estimate) and the relevant Sqn Non-Public Funds (Belfry, T-Bar and Officers’ Fund).
c. The Sqn would seek additional support from HQ AIR as there are Central Funds available to meet Centenary Events.
d. The Treasurer agreed to contact Andy Jeffrey to see if his company would be willing to sponsor the Dinner; should they not wish to accept the opportunity, the Chair mentioned that MBDA might be able to provide limited financial support.
e. Attendees who were neither current Sqn personnel, Assn Members (as of 8 Dec 2014) nor their guests would be charged the full cost of the event per person – this equated to £45 per head based on:
(1) Arrival drink between 1900-1930 – £5 per person.
(2) 3-course dinner – £25.
(3) 0.6 of a bottle of wine per person – £10.20. (Hotel would provide wine at £17 per bottle)
(4) One bottle of port per table of 10/12 – £2.10 per head based on £12 per bottle and £9 corkage.
(5) Tea or coffee available from a servery placed in the dining room – £1. Sqn Ldr James highlighted that only 1/3 of diners traditionally had tea/coffee. The £1 charge therefore spreads the cost across all attendees and would not require individuals to pay at the point of collection.
Item 4 – Designation of Responsibilities
10. The meeting was informed that, given the recent restructuring of the Assn, all members should be aware of who was responsible for organising various projects. It was decided that the breakdown would be as follows:
a. Annual Reunion Sec
b. Remembrance Sunday Chair
c. TABS Vice-Chair
d. Website Simon Bowron
e. Funerals Sec
f. History Sec
11. Funerals. During the discussions it was suggested that the Assn might like to consider getting an unofficial Standard that could be used at funerals. It would be held on the Sqn and could be taken to selected events by representatives from the Sqn. OCIX des would endeavour to send 2 officers (a crew) to each Assn member funeral, operational circumstances permitting. The Chair agreed to speak to Wg Cdr Crook, SO1 Ceremonial to discuss the possibility of acquiring an Assn Standard.
12. The relevance of an Assn and Sqn MoU was discussed. It was agreed that there ought to be something in place that gave both the Assn and Sqn something to refer to in order to assist with relevant planning and logistics for certain events. The Chair would draft a proposal for discussion with OCIX (des).
13. Whilst it was not an appropriate time to grind out the details, it was agreed that the Sqn would provide, as a matter of course and at a minimum:
a. The Standard to be paraded at Bardney on Remembrance Sunday. A flypast would be requested by the Assn but not guaranteed.
b. One article from OC IX(B) Sqn for TABS.
c. One article from a IX(B) Sqn Junior Officer.
d. Annual Reunion:
i. Sqn POC to assist Assn in planning and execution.
ii. Friday night hosting
iii. Set-up on Sqn site
iv. Formal request for BBMF Lancaster
v. Sqn Flypast (assets and personnel dependent)
Item 5 – Proposal for other Centenary Events
14. A suggestion was made to have a dedicated Centenary Dinner in the RAF Club for past and current Commanding Officers and Warrant Officers. This proposal was agreed. The Chair agreed to lead on planning and to publish the date in TABS and on the Association Website. OC IX(B) Des agreed that he would endeavour to return with WO IX(B) Sqn.
Item 6 – Charity Commission Responsibilities
15. There was concern that, as a registered charity, the set up of how the Assn was governed could be improved. The meeting were informed that it was not good practice to have Trustees on the Board and that the role of a Trustee was to govern. It was decided that the following posts/individuals should be approached to act as Association Trustees, following a meeting between the Chair and Treasurer to discuss the Business Plan (see below):
a. OC IX(B) Sqn – until disbandment
b. WO IX(B) Sqn – until disbandment.
c. AVM Evans
d. Air Cdre Waddington
Item 7 – Business Plan
16. The Assn needed an up to date and relevant business plan. This included modern accounting software. The Chair and Treasurer agreed that it would be wise to discuss at a later date and report to the committee. The meeting agreed that £400 would be identified, if necessary, to acquire the relevant software. The update should be complete by 31 March 15.
Item 8 – Memorial for Arboretum
17. The Chair agreed to be the lead on this project. The final design work needed to be formally presented to the Arboretum in April. Despite the design being well advanced, it was suggested that the Chair speak to the designer to ascertain an appropriate timeframe.
18. Although the Arboretum has many memorials, they are keen to have the IX(B) Sqn memorial. If it is accepted the cost will likely be in the region of £9000. In addition, it will incur a one off cost of £1000 and subsequently a yearly ‘rent’; this is as yet uncosted.
19. The meeting was told that there a some very high profile sponsors who are aware of the memorial and that they would be very keen to assist with the funding. The Chair will liaise with OC IX(B) Sqn (desig) to pursue.
20. In order to ensure the memorial is erected in the Sqn’s centenary year, the aim is to have it complete and in situ by 8 Dec 15 – this was recognised as a very ‘stretch’ target.
Item 9 – Date for AGM
21. It was agreed that the AGM would take place during the centenary celebrations on 23 July 15. Unfortunately, the Treasurer would be unable to attend but the Chair would present relevant financial details.
Item 10 – AOB
Item 11 – Date for next meeting
23. It was decided that the next meeting would be held at RCDS on 26 Jun 15 at 1200hrs. OC IX(Des) and the Centenary Event Flt Cdr agreed to attend. As a minimum, this meeting would review these minutes and the plans for 23 July, including ratification of the proposed allocation of hotel rooms and seating plan for the Centenary Dinner
24. The Sec would liaise with the Website Manager (Simon Bowron) to set up a IX(B) Sqn Association Facebook page. Membership would be closely monitored and restricted to those who were members of the IX(B) Sqn Assn.
25. The Web Manager has publicised broad details of the plans for the 23 Jul on the Association website (http://www.9sqn.co.uk/), explaining that the Sqn would distribute communications by end-Feb.